Building Department

The Sudbury Building Department is responsible for issuing all building, electrical, plumbing and gas permits. The Building Inspector is also the Zoning Enforcement Officer for the town.

Building Permits are required for all construction that is not an ordinary repair as defined by the latest edition of the Massachusetts State Building Code.  For more information regarding building permit requirements, go to


Message from the Building Inspector, Mark Herweck



No news found.

Building - Construction | Expand

Title Description Info
Residential Green Building Guide: A Web Source Book for New England Guide to Residential Green Building in New England. This green building guide provides information and resources to homeowners, contractors, or any New England resident interested in environmentally responsible residential renovation and construction. August 12, 2009
0.03 KB

Building Department | Expand

Title Description Info
Certificate of Occupancy Requirements Information needed prior to Certification of Occupancy being issued July 24, 2008
46.50 KB
Excavation & Trench Safety Regulations Information and Fact Sheet for new excavation and trench safety regulation. July 31, 2008
42.84 KB

Certificates | Expand

Title Description Info
Certificate of Inspection Application for Annual Certificate of Inspection for daycare and/or preschool facilities, assembly halls, businesses requiring special licensing, and public swimming pools. May 26, 2011
81.00 KB

Facilities Department | Expand

Title Description Info
2002 Town Space Needs Study 2002 Town Space Needs Study March 26, 2012
4985.88 KB

Fees | Expand

Title Description Info
Permit Fees Building Permit Fees for Building, Wiring, Plumbing and Gas Permits. February 14, 2014
49.50 KB

Forms | Expand

Title Description Info
Disposal Debris Form This form is required for materials being sent to a licensed solid waste facility. August 8, 2013
80.50 KB
Residential Energy Code Compliance - Stretch Code Energy Compliance worksheet required with all residential building permit applications for 1 & 2 family house and townhouse construction, additions and renovations. February 22, 2011
506.81 KB
Workers Comp Affidavit For contractors working as sole proprietors and do not have Worker's Compensation Insurance or homeowners applying for building permits. February 7, 2007
985.49 KB

Permits | Expand

Title Description Info
Building Permit Application This building permit application is needed for any commercial or residential construction. August 8, 2013
549.00 KB
Gas Permit June 30, 2008
528.92 KB
Plumbing Permit June 30, 2008
522.66 KB
Portable Sign Permit Application Portable Sign (A-Frame) Permit are issued annually from July 1-June 30 in accordance with the Zoning Bylaw Section 3259A. August 8, 2013
108.50 KB
Sheet Metal Permit Application June 25, 2013
92.00 KB
Wiring Permit October 11, 2011
161.50 KB

Utilities | Expand

Title Description Info
Facilities Data Operational expenses for each town building. October 6, 2008
64.94 KB


This department has 16 documents

Expand All

Building Department

New Trench Regulation - What are the requirements for the excavation and trench safety regulation?
For details, click on Building Documents to download fact sheet or for more information see and search for new trench regulations.


How do I apply for a special permit or a variance from the Board of Appeals?

See Board of Appeals website for all special permit applications.

Permits - Building

Do I need a permit for a shed?

For sheds that are 10'x12'(120 sq. ft) or smaller, no permit is needed and the shed can be placed 5 feet from your side or rear property line.

For sheds greater than 12 ft in any direction, but less than 200 sq. ft., no permit is required, however,  placement of the shed must follow the building setbacks of 20' from the side property line, 30' from the rear, and 40' from the front.

A Building Permit is required for sheds  200 sq. ft. or greater.


How do I apply for a Building Permit?
Building Permits are available in the Building Department located in the DPW Building at 275 Old Lancaster Road or you can click here to download a permit application and a checklist of items necessary when submitting application. If you have any questions, visit our web page at and click on frequently asked questions.
How do I schedule an inspection?

All inspections are conducted Monday through Friday and must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance.  Call the building department Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at  978-440-5461 to schedule inspection.


Building Inspections: 12:00 to 3:00 p.m.
Wiring Inspections: 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Plumbing/Gas Inspections: 11:30 to 2:30 p.m.


(1) Excavation
(2) Completed foundation, footings, drains and waterproofing prior to backfilling.
(3) Pre-rough inspection is optional
(4) Electrical, plumbing, gas rough inspections.
(5) Framing inspection (including firestopping)
(6) Insulation inspection
(7) Electrical, plumbing, gas, Fire Department, and other applicable final inspections.
(8) Final building inspection
(9) Certificate of Occupancy after all other department requirements are met and certified plot plan submitted.
What are the minimum area and frontage requirements in residential zones?

Residential A: 40,000 sq ft, 180 ft of frontage
Residential C: 60,000 sq ft, 210 ft of frontage
Wayside Inn Historic
Preservation Zone: 5 Acres, 210 ft of frontage

What are the residential setbacks?
Minimum building setbacks in all residential districts:
20 feet side yard
30 feet rear yard
40 feet front yard (corner lots have 2 front yard setbacks)
When does the Building Department Issue Permits?

Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Building Permit applications are accepted during office hours and are reviewed by the Building Inspector at a later time. In most cases, permits are issued within one week from the date of submittal.


The Building Inspector has public hours daily from 9:00-11:00 a.m. Public Hours are used for the purpose of meeting with contractors and homeowners to discuss proposed projects and to issue permits that have been previously reviewed.

Electrical, Plumbing and Gas permits are issued daily from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Building | (978) 440-5461

Name Position Office Location
Tommy Moberg Assistant Building Inspector DPW Building
Mark Herweck Building Inspector DPW Building
Krista Butler Clerk I DPW Building
Kathleen Plante Office Supervisor DPW Building
Robert Dempsey Plumbing/Gas Inspector DPW Building

Facilities | 978-440-5466

Name Position Office Location
James Kelly Combined Facilities Director DPW Building
Ann Hazard Bard Bldg. Maint. Specialist/ Custodian Flynn Building
Lawrence Jodrey Bldg. Maint. Specialist/ Custodian Flynn Building
Arthur Richard Supervisor of Bldg DPW Building
Contact Staff & Committee Members Contact Search
Subscribe Subscribe to Email Lists