Town Committees

Historic Districts Commission

Historic District Building Guidelines Historic District Maps & Description Historical Window Restoration MACRIS

Sudbury's Historic Districts

The purpose of this commission is to preserve and protect buildings, places and districts of historic or architectural significance. The precise boundaries of each district are outlined below. While separated geographically, the regulations which apply to each district are the same.

King Phillip Histric Distric Map King Philip Historic District - This area was the site of the Indian Wars of 1676 where Captain Samuel Wadsworth and his troop were killed in an ambush and later buried in the Wadsworth Cemetery.  The Wadsworth Monument was erected in 1852 in memory of the gallant men who fought the Battle of Green Hill and appears on the Town Seal of Sudbury.  Also in the District is the Goodnow Library, included in the National Register of Historic Places, as well as homes of 17th and 18th century construction, including the Goulding House, Sudbury’s oldest existing home, 1720.  In the area of Mill Village is the site of the west-side Grist Mill, erected in 1659.
Sudbury Centre Historic District Map Sudbury Centre Historic District - Of historical significance in this District is the Loring Parsonage, c. 1700, the First Parish Church, built in 1797, site of Sudbury’s second Meeting House and first Town Meeting, the 19th century Presbyterian Church, and the Grange Hall, erected in 1846.  The Hosmer House, standing at the corner of Concord and Old Sudbury Roads is a typical residence of the early 19th century.  Here, also, is the Common where the Militia and Minutemen mustered on the morning of April 19, 1775, and just beyond the old Town Hall is the Revolutionary Cemetery and Monument.  To the east of the Centre is the Haynes Garrison site where the people of Sudbury defended their lives and frontier settlements against the allied Indian forces of Philip of Pokonoket.
Wayside Inn Historic District Map Wayside Inn Historic Districts - Of particular interest here is the Wayside Inn, first known as the Red Horse Inn of 1686, visited by such distinguished guests as Generals Washington and Lafayette, and made famous by Longfellow’s “Tales of the Wayside Inn.”  In the same area is the Redstone Schoolhouse where Mary brought her little lamb, as well as a typical New England Grist Mill and the Martha Mary Chapel, built by Henry Ford.
Pitt Tavern Historic District Map George Pitts Tavern Historic District - In 1721 at the George Pitts Tavern (located on Maple Avenue) a meeting was held to petition the Colonial Legislature for permission to erect a meeting house west of the Sudbury River, thereby separating the towns of Sudbury and Wayland. The outcome of this historic gathering effectively created the Town of Sudbury. According to maps of the 1800s, even the Old Boston Post Road passed along a portion of this street. Today, the architecture and structure of Maple Avenue showcases Sudbury's evolution throughout time. Many of the homes standing today were built between 1882 and 1920.
Go to: Home | About Sudbury | Calendar | Committees | ServicesBrowse: News | FAQs | Documents | Meetings | Links