Historic Sudbury 1880-1889


 

Concord Road c. 1888

This etching looks west at a stretch of Concord Road leading to Sudbury Center. The steepled building at left is the old Congregational Church , which stood near the intersection of Concord and Goodmanís Hill roads. On the far right is the Garfield-Parmenter store, near the intersection of todayís Route 27. Etching by J. S. Conant, from Alfred S. Hudson, History of Sudbury, 1889.

Goodnow Library c. 1888

The Goodnow Library opened April 4, 1863, funded by a bequest from Sudbury native John Goodnow. With several major additions and renovations, the library still serves the town today. Etching by J. S. Conant, from Alfred S. Hudson, History of Sudbury, 1889.

Hop Brook Valley c.1888

This etching shows Hop Brook Valley in South Sudbury, looking southwest toward Nobscot Hill from the hill at the top of todayís Church Street. The road in the foreground is now Concord Road. The large building in the center of the picture is the Wadsworth Academy, and the cupola of the Goodnow Library can be seen rising above it from behind. Etching by J. S. Conant, from Alfred S. Hudson, History of Sudbury, 1889.

Huntís Store c.1885

George Huntís original store on Boston Post Road burned in 1887. Note the display of violins in the window.

Sudbury Center c.1888

This etching shows the Town House as it sat next to the Unitarian Church on the west side of Concord Road, before it burned in 1929. The horse barns that can still be seen next to the church were actually built for the Town House. The Methodist Episcopal Church stands at the right. Etching by J. S. Conant, from Alfred S. Hudson, History of Sudbury, 1889.